Thursday, November 18, 2010

Caught Off Guard

RING RING RING RING RING

"Is that my doorbell?  No one ever comes to my apartment, so it's not really a sound I'm familiar with.  I'll go look through the peek hole and see who it is.  Oh that's right, the glass is so dirty that I can't see a thing. 

"Well, there's a man standing there.  Or a woman.  But it's definitely a person.  Unless it's an alien.  Or a drunken angel statue.  You never can be sure.

"I guess I'll open it.  It's probably someone I know.  If it isn't, I doubt it will take long for them to realize I don't speak Hungarian and they'll go away.  Maybe it's a Hungarian girl scout selling Hungarian girl scout cookies.  If that's they case, I'll buy a ton.

"I hope the whole transaction doesn't take long - I have dinner on the stove.  It's not too important if I burn it, though, because I usually burn it anyway."

These are the thoughts that went through my head while I was cooking dinner tonight.  When I opened the door, I didn't find a woman, an alien, or even a drunken angel statue.  Instead, it was my neighbor.  You remember him, he's the one I was at the sausage festival with (read about that here).

He's a nice guy, but his English isn't great (even though it's 20 million times better than my Hungarian).  I've had a few short conversations with him in passing, but we only hung out at that one festival.  On the other hand, he is my neighbor, so I wasn't that surprised to see him at my door.

"Do you like cookies?" he asked.

"Yes, I love cookies."

"Great!  I made some cookies and I brought some for you," he replied as he handed me a Christmas tin, "Enjoy your dinner!"

And off he went.

Either he's psychic or he could smell my food from the kitchen.  The second is more likely, but I don't have any proof against his psychic abilities.  I'll try to ask him, but I better bring my English-Hungarian dictionary because mind reading isn't something usually taught in language classes.


The Cookie Tin

It may come as a surprise, but living in a foreign country can be lonely.  The odds of this increase when you live in a small town where the vast majority of people don't speak your language.  Until you learn their language, conversations tend to be at a minimum.  Friendships only go so far when they're based off of three word interactions.


Therefore, it was a pretty welcome feeling to have someone come knock on my door with a gift.  It's just more proof to my theory about living in a foreign land:  If you're lonely, homesick, don't fit in, don't have friends, etc., then you need to do one thing - be patient.  With enough time, patience, and smiles, you will feel welcome.

So answer the door, if it isn't a drunken angel statue, it may be your friend with cookies.

Hungarian word of the day (seems important, under the circumstances):  Köszönöm (you're on your own with this pronunciation, I know how to say it, but I don't know how to explain it).  It means Thank You, and you could find yourself saying it a lot.

12 comments:

  1. How were the cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just say "ö" like "u" in word "curry", and the "sz" like "s" in "soap".
    And "szívesen" is "you are welcome" (seevashan),something like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies are great! They were rolled around with coconut shavings in the middle. I should've put a picture of one of them too.

    Mariann,
    Thanks for explaining that! I couldn't think of any words to compare it to because the "u" sounds are rarely used in English. Also, thanks for including szívesen, it should be here as well.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very good word to know in any language, along with 'please'!

    Did you like the cookies?

    Like Mariann said, the letter 'sz' (it counts for one letter, along with 'cs, gy, ly, ny, ty', etc) pronounced like the letter 's' in English, (soap, soup, sorry) and the Hungarian 's' is pronounced like 'sh' in English (shoot, shy, shade). Sorry, I had to add this last bit to aid your confusion about Hungarians and their language. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The arsonist has oddly shaped feet.... Koszonom! NAILED IT! try some ron burgondy excercises first. it helps - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should've put a picture of one of them too..

    but you ate them all.....

    nat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilly,
    Yes, the cookies are very good! Thanks for the language tips. I think I understand how to make most of the sounds, I just have trouble actually pronouncing them. The hardest (in my opinion) is the "gy" sound, I really struggle with that.

    Greg,
    Good point, that's what I was missing! I need advice from the master of speaking. I just need to watch out for question marks...

    Nat,
    I still have a few left, so I can take a picture!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "gy" sound is like when you say "need you"(for example:D) like this 2 words were 1: "needyou" and the sound between d and y makes "gy".
    At least I hope so:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mariann,
    Thanks, that's the best description I've heard for that sound! I'll start thinking of it that way, and I think it'll be very helpful. Perhaps I'll be able to buy gyümölcs now.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if that's why we call ourselves Magyar, to see who can actually pronounce 'gy'.
    :)

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lilly,

    Good idea! That's a way to decide who really is a Magyar, and who's just pretending!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete