Friday, November 19, 2010

Wow, The Word Of The Day Picked Itself

As you know, I try to have a Hungarian Word of the Day.  Usually, I connect it to some topic I'm discussing, or I tell something interesting that I learned that day.

Today, the decision was made as soon as I saw the word.

Let me set the scene.  It's about 8:15 in the morning, and I'm teaching one of my 9th grade classes.  They're the most advanced of their grade level, but they're still relative beginners.

I had finished what I had to teach, and I was now on the second part of my lesson.  My classes usually begin with the boring stuff, and about halfway through I change to something else.  Typically I have a plan of what to teach, but I often change it depending on how it's going.  If they're behaving and participating, I can play a game instead of some textbook activity.  If they're misbehaving, I practice my medieval torture methods.

Just kidding - I wanted to see if you're paying attention.

Returning to the story, this particular group usually behaves quite well.  When I came to the point where I could make a decision, one student raised her hand and asked what Hungarian words I know.  They have been fascinated by this since day one, so we started talking about it.

I put them in groups and told them to think of useful phrases or words to teach me.  It started out with a few common words like juice and sunglasses, but then one girl asked if she could come write a word on the board.

You must know that this particular student has a very stern look about her.  She's not mad or unhappy, but her face naturally has an intense, almost angry, look on it.  When she's a mother, I think she'll have very well behaved children.

That's important to know because she came up to the board and started writing.  I think most others would have started laughing.  She was focused.

Then she kept writing.

And she wrote some more.

The pen dried up and she needed a new one - just kidding, but it's possible.

Finally she finished.  It was one word.

"We don't know how to say this word in English, but it's the longest Hungarian word."

If you speak Hungarian, I bet your laughing.  If you don't, I bet your not ready for this.  This is what she wrote:

Megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért

She quickly read it out loud so I could repeat.  I stared at her and the class laughed.  Then she drew lines at certain intervals and taught it to me in parts.  I'm proud to say I managed to pronounce it, at least in a rough manner.

So there you have it.  That's what I learned in school today.  If you're wondering what it means, just ask around.  After all, it's not like it's difficult to pronounce.

9 comments:

  1. They were pulling your leg.This word was created by linguists. However it has a little sense, and it is correct grammatically it is not used because doesnt mean anything lucid. it is just a linguistic word-play. Do you know what is means?
    It means: for your not being desacrated. (I'm n ot sure it was corrcet but stg like this. Maybe Mariann or Lilly has a better translation)
    Oh, students, students, dont ruin your poor native teacher! You'd better bake stg for him!
    Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this translation is correct:)
    It's not the point, what does it mean, just a joke:)
    We have another: elkelkáposztásítottalanítottátok:)
    Same like the other one: it means "the kale was removed from it".
    Not really make any sense, and nobody use this word in real conversation:)
    You have to punish this evil bastards!:)
    Maybe a specially hard test next week?:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariann:
    FYI (1): Kaposzta = cabbage (not kale)
    FYI (2): Kale is not used in HU cooking.
    FYI (3): Kale sucks (along with okra). (Both Southern veggies). Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have favourite german words, which are really in use: For instance :)

    Rotblutkörperchensenkunggeschwindigkeit
    ( i was able to write it alone, juhu!)

    great isn't it?

    und was sagt euch dazu:

    Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

    it was said in the german parliament.

    What is the longest english word?


    nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been tricked, yet again! But to the excuse of your students, didn't you claim they were the smartest? :)
    My favorite longest English word is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    by Mary Poppins! (Prononciation for Hungarians would be something like this: Szupörkalifradzsilisztikekszpialidósösz) Just like the words megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért or elkelkáposztásítottalaníthatatlaníttathatnátok doesn't really mean anything except it's fun to say.

    Btw, I'm curious to find out about your medieval torture methods for future reference that I could utilize with my own students! :)

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous 1:
    This is not "cabbage"= káposzta in this word, this is "kelkáposzta", which is "kale" in my dictionary.
    I'm in UK, and I just have seen this thing in shop in name "curly cabbage".
    And yes, we used to use this thing in Hungary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments. I had assumed the word didn't mean anything special, because they couldn't give any explanation for it.

    I was able to quiet them very quickly, though, because they had also asked what a long English word was. I told them the two I know: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and antidisestablishmentarianism.

    Their mouths fell open when I said those!

    I don't know what the words mean, so they may not mean anything either.

    Here's a wikipedia article I just found on long words: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_words

    I hope they bake something for me, or they may just be getting hard tests and medieval torture methods!

    Thanks,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. mariann;
    Kelkaposzta = Savoy cabbage.
    Kale is a kind of dark green, leaf-like "vegetable" in its raw, ready-to-cook form, like spinach or sorrel. I'm qualifying it, because I don't know how a kale plant looks like on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymus:
    Like I said before I have seen in UK the "kelkáposzta" under "curly cabbage" name.
    I know how this thing looks like, and it was definetly the same.
    If you try in google translator the "kale", the result is "kelkáposzta".
    I think it is better to finish this boring discussion.:)

    ReplyDelete