Saturday, November 20, 2010

Is Smoke Supposed To Come Out Of The Wall?

I have a big electric kettle to heat up water.  Maybe you would call it a pitcher.  It's a big blue plastic thing that boils water in less than a minute.  Needless to say, it gets a lot of use.

Today, I clicked it on and went in the other room for a second.  When I came back in, I noticed a funny smell.  I looked at the electrical outlet and saw smoke pouring out of it.

Hmm, that's not normal.

Quickly I unplugged it.  Smoke was still coming out, but I couldn't see whatever it was that was burning.  I guess I'll blow on it?

Oh well, I was in the middle of making lunch so I just pretended it didn't happen.  It went away.  I'll ask someone about it on Monday, but until then, I'll just enjoy the adventure.


I never did find out why they were here.
View from my balcony.
I can always call the tűzoltóság (fire department)Pretty cool how I snuck in the word of the day like that.  They were parked outside yesterday, they must be psychic too.

6 comments:

  1. USE ANOTHER OUTLET!!!
    The kettle uses a lot of amperage to heat the water quick. If the contacts INSIDE the outlet are loose or corroded (contacts from the in-wall wires to the outlet fixture) it will introduce a point of resistance into the circuit, and will heat up under high current draw.
    Have your landlord FIX it - pronto. You can end up a crispy critter.
    It WILL NOT repair itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I have it unplugged and haven't used it since. I won't plug anything else into it until I have someone come fix it.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my god!
    Your life an endless adventure!
    I'm so jealous!:)
    Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they must be psychic too.

    ..or they caused the problem deliberately just not being sacked because there were no fire in November and they had to accomplish one fire-case in every month at least....
    ..have mercy on them and call them...

    nat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mariann,
    I love having an exciting life, and I seem to be quite lucky! It's all pretty great as long as my flat doesn't burn down!

    Nat,
    You're probably right. They did seem to just be sitting outside waiting for something to happen. Pick on the guy from another country! Ha ha ha.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. The King of Produce has a message for you:

    Tell Alex that curly cabbage is savoy cabbage, and isn't it gouche to get
    Christmas presents before our Thanksgiving!

    PS better have the wall plug checked.

    ReplyDelete