Monday, November 15, 2010

For Example, For Instance

It's no secret that living in a foreign country can change the way you speak.  Accents take a while, but little bits of vocabulary start meandering in.  For example, if you live in Hungary you will start to say "for instance" - and "for example".  A lot.

I don't know why, but the Hungarians seem to be very fond of these two phrases.  For instance, they almost always use them when explaining something.  It isn't necessary for the explanation, but it is said anyway.

These two pairs of words are the most common language difference I've noticed.  For example, it's difficult to have a conversation with a Hungarian without hearing it at least once.  I wonder if it's a translation issue?  For instance, are these commonly used in Hungarian, and therefore they're carried over to English?

For a while, I thought I was the only one noticing it, but I found out that wasn't true.  For example, the two American teachers I traveled with were joking about it.  They teach in a town on the other side of Hungary, and they told me it's just as common there.

Most of the different expressions that I hear can be attributed to British English.  However, I don't believe this can.  For instance, how many British people do you know who often say these expressions?

This fascinates me.  But, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  For example, I managed to say one or the other in every paragraph here (even twice in one!).

I don't have a Hungarian word of the day yet, because I'm going to try to learn a few phrases (I bet you can guess what they are).  For instance, I should be able to tell you tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. don't have a Hungarian word of the day yet

    Let it be: PÉLDÁUL (=for instance) proun.: pale + bowel but not with b but wit d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Például, fantastic! Thank you for this. I think it will be quite useful!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's to buttress a concept or idea. I.e "here is an idea and these are the examples of its validity".
    I noticed, Americans systematically omit examples; they just put the concept forth, and you are supposed to take it at its face value - or you won't.
    The downside is, that the example put forth to buttress, is simply and habitually ignored, and systematically left unaddressed. It's extraordinarily frustrating to a Hungarian who is habituated in this mode of thinking and expression, and expects the "for example" to be addressed in case of a disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! I also often thinking about the unique aspects of Hungarian language. And about the silly Hungarian way of thinking.But Perhaps you are the first to discover this EXAMPLE:)
    It's true, we use PÉLDÁUL very often. Sometimes we find the perfect example, to make something clear through of the PÉLDA (Example), sometimes not, but we like it...Maybe you will hear often IT's like, it' not like too...

    It'not egzactly(My gosh how to spell??) the same thing, but FOR EXAMPLE in Denmark (with an ability to understand Danish like you understand Hungarian roughly)I always hear, when listening to conversations: "Yes but..."(Ja men e...) And I always hear 20, and 25...How come everything costs 20 or 25 over here!?:)
    Now you can learn 1 more thing about Hungarian language reading this comment...We like very long and complicated sentences:)With plenty of "forinstances, and forexamples:)And a lot of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  5. a lot of ,,,,,but no dots ........:) Maybe my comment wasn't that terrible this time, cause I have a degree of Journalism, so I was taught not to create too long sentences, because long sentences may cause confusion, and misunderstandings, miscommunications, or so..
    But For Example this time I made a terrible long one:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Anonymous,
    I agree with you. In American culture, we don't tend to give examples like this. I think part of it is the American desire to always say things quickly, and in as few words as possible. When speaking to an American, you should force them to tell you an example when you don't agree! Claim they don't have a point unless they can prove their argument.

    To La,
    I'm glad you enjoyed this! I think it's very helpful to notice the speaking habits of people when I'm trying to learn their language. Sometimes I learn more by hearing Hungarians speaking English because I notice the small differences like this. I couldn't pick them out in the other language, but I notice them in my own. Now I know to be on the lookout for long, complex sentences!

    That's really funny that everything costs 20 or 25. I hope that's a convenient denomination with their money!

    Oh, and here's an English teacher moment - "exactly".

    Thanks for your comments,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just so much easier to write in long sentences. I have to try really hard to keep mine short. I think in long sentences!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete