Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Going To Be One Of Those Weeks

It was a cold, dark morning. I always wake up a little earlier than I need to, and I drink a cup of coffee, watch the news, and check my e-mail. My brain needs this so it can start functioning by the time I begin teaching. Today, the sun decided to hit the snooze button. I had to use the lights. Not a good start to the week.

Things were about to change.

I rushed to school and arrived just in time (an unfortunate trend that seems to happen on Monday mornings). I headed for the stairway so I could drop off my bag and head to my classroom.

That's when I noticed.

Everyone in front of me was wearing bright swim caps and colorful, floral-patterned dresses. Some had on rubber gloves that are usually reserved for cleaning or washing dishes. Boys were wearing makeup and lipstick. Girls had mustaches. Plus, everyone had a sign hanging around their neck. The signs were made of bright paper and had two names on them.

Maybe the toxic sludge did seep into my water.

Then I remembered. It's "Freshman Week". I'm sure there's a Hungarian name for it, but I don't know it yet. It's the week that the school-leavers (or seniors) initiate the incoming students. Each freshman is assigned to a senior who makes them do things.

I've been told they have to wear funny clothes and do silly dances. They have to carry their books (and their senior's books) in a basket. Sometimes they buy lunch for their school-leaver. It seems they have to do any ridiculous tasks that the seniors come up with.

Between classes today, all the excited students rushed out to the courtyard. I watched from the window above and felt like I was a teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The freshman, in their crazy clothes, hopped around, did dances, had pies (or something) thrown on their faces, and generally had a great time.

I can't wait to see what happens next. Wait, why didn't I get a freshman? I don't want to carry my books.

4 comments:

  1. Because you are a freshman too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Mariann, I'm probably lucky I wasn't wearing a swim cap and carrying one of the teacher's books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alex,

    My name is Jisha and I lived with you in Andrews freshman year of college. I hope you remember me. I came across your blog on facebook and am really enjoying your posts! Your English classes remind me of Spanish classes in high school. I think language classes are the most fun because it forces you to go back to the mind of a kindergarten/first grade student when you speak the foreign language. I remember my Spanish class was always a class to look forward to because we knew we would have to express ourselves in some silly way!

    You posts are great and I'm jealous of what you have achieved so far! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jisha!

    Yes, of course I remember you! Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    You're right, language classes are great because you get to act like a kid. It's hilarious to watch 18 year old kids get excited about playing hangman. The other teachers have told me they're jealous of my class because I can play games when they have to just teach math or something.

    I hope all is going well with you.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete