Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's The Little Things

Everyday, someone asks me, "Do you like it here, isn't it hard living in Hungary?" Then, they bring up valid points. I'm far from my family and friends. I don't speak the language. I don't know very many people. I can't find a baseball bat. So, yes, it is hard.

But, it's the little things.

The little things make a big difference.

You have to learn to ignore the little, bad things. There are a lot of them, and they are unavoidable. This morning, I was cold and I couldn't use the heat. I don't know how to turn it on, so I had to shiver.

I didn't let that bother me. It would've been a waste of time, because I would've still shivered. Instead, I drank warm coffee and looked forward to my day.

Next, you have to learn to embrace the little, good things. I just went to a bar on the corner of my street for a beer. I like the bar because it's close, has a friendly atmosphere, and has a very appropriate name - the Street Corner.

It was during my walk that I experienced one of those enjoyable moments. I stepped outside into the cold night and looked up to see an orange, crescent shaped moon. It was slightly blurred through the foggy air that had a faint smell of smoke. It was exactly 9 o'clock, so I could hear the church bells chiming. All of this was complimented by the European architecture of my street.

I looked over at a statue of a famous Hungarian and said to him, "Mr. Nagy, this is why I'm here".

To anyone unsure if they're able to live in a foreign land, this is my advice. Learn to deal with the little things. They will make or break your experience.

3 comments:

  1. we all want adventure Alex, just like you living in a new culture, seeing new things, learning about other people, places and things. it seems that teaching overseas is a good way to experience all these.
    I'll keep on reading you.
    Cheers from California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex, I know it is hard, but never mind!
    Anyway, this is a good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I agree with both of you, it's the difficult challenges that make an adventure like this so fun.

    I'll keep sharing all of my stories, good and bad, and I'm happy you're enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete