Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This Is Where I Say "I Told You So"

In yesterday's post, I predicted that this week would be, for lack of a better word, interesting. I was right about that.

I was supposed to teach three classes today, but I taught half of one. "At least you didn't have to go to school, you pretty much had the day off," I'm sure you're thinking. No, I did have to go to school. A lot of time was wasted.

My first class was my beginners.  They are all in one class, but I teach them at two separate times (divided up by their English level).  Last week, both groups were in the classroom when I arrived.  Now, it's not normal for high school kids to get up early and go to school when they could sleep in, so I knew something was different.  I asked them what was going on and they pointed to the board.  It said:

"We would like to go to training to the Gólya week."

Above "Gólya" was the word "Crane", and underneath it was a labeled drawing of a crane catching a fish in the water.

Well that certainly explains why they're all here.  They would like to go to training to the Gólya week.  No surprise there.  I kind of wanted to go also, because I didn't have the slightest clue what this meant.

In their beginner English, they attempted to explain they wanted to dance.  "Alright, that sounds fun," I said, "where would you like to dance?"

They pointed to the ground and started moving all the desks to the side.  I sat down to watch and learn.  One of the students was teaching a choreographed dance set to one of their favorite songs, the World Cup theme song (you can hear it here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0).).

Every now and then they would stop, look at me excitedly, and ask if it was good.  Obviously, I kept telling them it was great and encouraging them!  I simply left out the part that I had no idea what it was or what it was for, so my opinion on its quality was worth absolutely nothing.

I didn't think about it until today when I walked in the classroom to find them all there, again.  However, I didn't feel déjà vu becasue they were wearing swim caps and bright dresses (explained in yesterday's post).  They wanted to practice again, but this time we went outside in the freezing cold to do it.  I have to say, they have improved.  Maybe I should make them do all their assigments out in the elements.

The exact purpose of the dance is still a mystery, but they told me they would perform it on Thursday.  If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to tell you.

My next class wasn't there.  The room was empty.  As I was walking back to the teacher's room, one of the other English teachers saw me and asked if I was lost.  She then helped me piece together where my class was - they went on a field trip to the movies.  Not only did I not know, but I wasn't even invited.  They better bring me the rest of their Sour Patch Kids.

The other teacher seemed upset that no one warned me about this.  It didn't bother me though, because this sort of thing happens a lot.  There was a very nice notice on the wall that explained it - it was written in flawless Hungarian.

My last class had five students.  It's supposed to have 14.  They immediately asked, "Is it even worth teaching just five students, or should you just let us go home?"  Good try.  High school kids are the same everywhere.

Finally, for a new tradition, the Hungarian Word of the Day (taugh to me by beginner class):  "Szív" (pronounced seeve).  It means "Heart".

1 comment: