Monday, October 4, 2010

There's No Hungarian Word For "First Down"

I was about to go to bed.  This week, it's my goal to get on a good sleep schedule.  That means getting to bed early every night so I don't need a nap every afternoon.  Fate, however, does not want this to happen.  There have been a change in plans that will result in me being tired in the morning.

My Hungarian TV is showing the Redskins.

One of my classes was telling me the schedule, and it sounds like they show two NFL games a week.  There's a Sunday afternoon game, and the Monday night game is replayed on Tuesday (because it would be in the middle of the night here).  This week, the Hungarians seem to be happy with me because they decided to show me the Redskins beating the Eagles.

If you don't like watching commercials, you should watch the game here.  The first quarter is almost over, and there hasn't been a commercial break yet.  It must be a result of soccer never having breaks, so they don't know how to do it.

It sounds really cool, "alright, the game will just keep going and I won't have to see really funny beer advertisements and clips of dumb shows that I don't want to watch".  Instead, I hear Hungarian announcers explaining something that I can't understand, while they show a the bird's eye view of the stadium for 5 minutes.

Earlier today, I went to the Munkácsy Mihály Museum.  He was a painter who grew up here in Békéscsaba, and then went on to become really famous.  I saw a bunch of his paintings last week in the Hungarian National Gallery in Budapest.  The museum here was cool, even if I didn't understand most of it.  The few exhibits on that man were in English, but the rest was in Magyarul.  I thought it was only a museum on the painter, but it also seemed to be a lot of history of this region.  It was very interesting, that is to everyone who speaks Hungarian.

It kept things exciting that the people who work there spoke absolutely no English.  Combine that with my knowledge of museum instructions in Hungarian, and there was a lot of laughing, pointing, and hand signals.  They had a special display (today was it's last day - one of the reasons I went), and it was very impressive.  It was photographs by a guy named Robert Capa, who seemed to be a combat photographer.  There were some great pictures of World War II.

After I went through the whole museum, I said good-bye to the museum people and headed towards the door.  Then, they gave me a big complicated explanation that I couldn't understand.  After a lot of frustrated pointing, one of them got up and showed me there was a downstairs.  I had a bunch more to see.  It wasn't time to leave.

But, it is time to go to bed.  I meant to be asleep an hour and a half ago, so tomorrow morning should be fun.

It was worth it, though, because I learned a valuable lesson tonight.  Everytime there is a big play in the football game, there is a bunch of excited chattering in Hungarian.  Suddenly, "first down" will come out.  As vast as the Hungarian language seems, no one thought to make a word to describe a first down.

Next time someone asks you if you know any Hungarian, you can say, "yes I do, first down".

No comments:

Post a Comment