Sunday, October 17, 2010

Would You Like Brains With That?

Again, the weekend has been overcast and rainy. It seems to be an unfortunate trend in Hungary. I spend all week looking out the window at warm, sunny days, and then I sit inside on the weekend.

This weekend, however, there was some excitement. I had a visitor! Another American teacher, Nephi, came to Békéscsaba to do some shopping and attend a church service. He teaches in a nearby town called Mezőkovácsháza, and it only has a population of about six thousand. Therefore, it's not exactly full of conveniences.

Our first stop was the mall where he bought, among other things, a football. I mean an actual football, not a soccer ball, and I think he bought the only one in the mall. Locically, is bright orange and says "Chicago" in green letters. Why not?

Then the rain started to pour, so we decided to pass the time in a restaurant. We headed over to a Slovakian place that I've wanted to try, and it turned out to be really cool. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it had an awesome atmosphere and some English on the menu.

It was these English words that informed us we could order brains. We laughed and wondered if that's what it really was. Nephi asked the waiter to confirm (pointing to his head to see if we meant the same brain), and it was in fact true. He even told us that these particular brains used to belong to a pig.

This is the part of the story where Nephi gains a lot of respect. He decided that he had to order them. After all, when would he get another chance? I played it safe and ordered "turkey stew in an egg jacket".

His plate of brains came out. No, it wasn't a big pink brain on a platter (although, that's what I was hoping for). It was little breaded pieces that looked like chicken nuggets. Apparently brains are best served on a bed of fries with a small side of salad.

He was very considerate of me when he took his first bite. By this, I mean he didn't spit the whole thing out spraying the table like a cartoon character. Instead, he looked like he couldn't settle on an opinion, so he gave me a little piece to try.

This was my first brain eating experience. Aside from feeling like a zombie, I wasn't overly excited. The flavor was almost non-existent, and the texture was best described as mushy. He said they grew on him by the end of the meal, but I'm not rushing out for another plate.

While on the topic of strange foods, we noticed something very interesting next to the pigs feet at the grocery store. This is just a guess, but we're pretty sure that they were pigs tails. Add another ingredient to the list of Alex's Hungarian Cookbook.

To counteract all the culture, we spoke American English (mumbling a lot), and watched college football on the internet. We spent the rest of the evening trying, and failing, to converse with Hungarian girls at a night club. The good news, I only saw one of my students while I was out drinking!

Now I'll plan a Halloween party. The Hungarians like to make it easy for you by supplying all of the necessary ingredients. They have wine called Bull's Blood, and brains and feet aren't hard to come by.

5 comments:

  1. I must dress as a zombie again and travel to Hungary to consume brains!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Alex!
    I'm a Hungarian woman, actually living in London.
    Altough I live in here for four years now, my English is far no perfect:)
    I can explain to you why people selling pigtails and feet,and what kind of food they making with them,if you interested:)
    I like your blog very mutch,it's very good to read about how american people see us,and our country.
    I have big respect for you, I now how hard to live far from your home, among strangers.
    And for you is bigger adventure than me, because you have changed not just country, but continent.:)
    Have a nice night, I hope you will learn some hungarian soon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Köszönöm Mariann, I'm glad that you like my blog (and your English is much better than my Hungarian!). I like being able to tell others about my experiences here in Hungary.

    I would love to hear what kinds of food are made with the pigtails and feet! They are very interesting to me, because I have never seen them before.

    I'm trying to learn Hungarian, so I'll have to write about it when I learn new things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words:) Four years ago my English was the same as your Hungarian now:)

    Now let's see the thing about the pigtails and stuff.:)
    In the old times, when most of people were poor in Hungary (and everywhere in the world) they had to use every little piece of the animal.
    The Hungarian people used the pig's ears, tail, feet, nose, skin and pieces of the head to make "kocsonya".
    This is a kind of soup, but when it is ready, it looks like a jelly.
    They put everything in a big high cooking pot with vegetables such as carrot, parsleys, onions, plenty of garlic and seasoning: usually black pepper, bay leaf, salt, etc.
    In cold water of course.
    They have cooked this soup for 4-5 hours and when it was ready, poured into deep plates.
    Then kept it in a cool place for a night and by the morning it became cold and solid like jelly.
    They used to put some ground red pepper, before eating.
    This is a very popular dish in Hungary in wintertime, mainly for men and elderly people.
    (I do not like it :)

    Same thing with the chicken leg, they used to cook soup with them because it is cheap, and there are still plenty of poor people in Hungary:(

    Please, feel free to ask anything about Hungary or things or people, I'm happy to answer you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kocsonya sounds very interesting, I hope I'll be able to try some. Thank you for explaining it to me. There are so many things here that I do not understand, and it's difficult to find out much about them!

    In this blog, I write about a lot of things I don't understand (many times I try to do it in a humorous way). I can't think of any other big questions I have right now, but it would be great if you can help me when I do!

    Szia!

    ReplyDelete