Sunday, October 24, 2010

Relaxing Mornings In An Apartment Block

I like my apartment, or flat, as it is always called here.  It's spacious.  It's in a convenient location.  It would probably be clean if a single guy wasn't living in it.  And I have neighbors who are very polite.

Some of my neighbors even take the friendliness to a whole new level.  Specifically, the people who live above me.  I don't even know who they are, but they are kind enough to share their music with me.  I'm sure they know how easily sounds leak through their floor, so they pick songs they think I'll like.  I do kind of enjoy it.

However, they have a strange habit.  I'm not sure what causes it, but they like to make repeated thumping noises on their floor.  I have a few theories as to what may be causing the disturbance:

1.  They don't like carpeting and have decided to cover their entire floor with nails.  Therefore, they have to constantly pound them in.

2.  Their washing machine only has three legs and it rattles a lot.

3.  They're professional pogo stick riders, and they need their practice.

4.  Knocking on your floor is a traditional Hungarian hobby that no one told me about.

The possibilities are endless. 

Whatever the reason, they started doing it at 7:30 this morning.  It wasn't the relaxing, sleep-in day I hoped for.  To add to it, the siren across the street went off again (if you want to see more about that, read this post).  It's nice to hear a siren for ten minutes that's louder than my obscenely noisy alarm clock.

Now it's time to get ready for teaching Halloween to Hungarians.  I'm going to go pound on my floor while I think about it.

4 comments:

  1. one more reason to make plans for the future; next school year must be Belgium, Vietnam, or whatever.
    cheers,
    Pete, California

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Pete, this is one thing I wouldn't miss!

    Everyday I spend here makes me want to keep teaching abroad, but I'm not sure where I'll be next year. Maybe still Hungary, maybe somewhere else. I'd love to go back to Belgium, and Vietnam would be quite a change. Feel free to share any information you have about finding jobs in these places!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Alex, check these sites:
    http://saigonalive.blogspot.com/2010/09/7-steps-to-saigonho-chi-minh-city.html
    (this guy sounds honest, Vietnam would be my choice since I have “yellow fever”)
    http://www.eslcafe.com/
    (be careful and read between the lines on the International Job Forum, because most of these guys don’t have a BA, are jealous of those who have one, Brits are most of the contributors on the forum and they don’t like Americans. When you have a BA, it means you get paid more)
    http://www.searchassociates.com/associates/fair_info.cfm
    http://www.searchassociates.com/main.html
    http://www.teachanywhere.com/register-for-teaching-jobs/default.aspx
    my advice, get a teaching job at an international school and if you can get a job in Belgium, get a master’s ASAP there. It’s cheap and doable: that will put you on a better paying scale in the future. With the unemployment in teaching in US, best bet is teaching English overseas. Use your asset as being an “English native”!
    just google “teaching English overseas” and you get tons of info.
    Cheers,
    Pete, California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pete!
    I'll start sifting through these and see what I can find. The only one I'd heard of was the eslcafe. I didn't realize that about the jealous Brits on there, that's good to know!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete